Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Great State Fair

Amaia experienced her first trip to the Iowa state fair this past weekend.  If you don't know the state fair is kind of a big deal in these parts  :)  People seriously love it so much!  Personally, I have never been a huge fan of the fair.  Other than eat a ton of food that is really bad for you (albeit very tasty), I'm just not sure what people get so excited about.  With that being said....I will say that I think I had more fun than ever before at the fair this year and I did recognize that there is a lot for kiddos to do.  I'm looking forward to having kiddos old enough to enjoy it.

I realized that I take a lot of pictures of Amaia by herself, so I am attempting to get more family photos.  Thus, we started off our day with a little photo shoot...you know while Amaia was sure to be in good spirits :)
My lovey dove doves
Sadly the only picture that includes Aunt Ashley and she is hidden.
Family portrait ala Ashley

 This year was the 100th anniversary of the butter cow and cow sculptures were abounding.  I thought this was pretty darn impressive though.  Love the way they used different colors of greenery to make the spots.

Amaia hates having the sun in her eyes. She takes after of her daddy in this way.  We need to get her some sunglasses of her own, but she looks pretty cute in these ones.

I forgot to take any pictures of the main thing we did while we were at the fair - eat!!  I had JR doughnuts (my fave!!), porkchop on a stick, strawberry ice cream cone, root beer and also had tastes of cajun cheese on a stick, pineapple whip cone, fried oreos, fried snickers bar....and I am fairly certain I am forgetting some things.  Wow, right?!  That was a lot of food.  

The last thing we did was my favorite.  We parked ourselves in the shade for the one man band!

Amaia and I relaxing on the curb.
One man band!  He was surprisingly quite impressive.

Adam & Ashley's neighbor from their growing up years is an awesome swing dancer.  He and his wife had a guest appearance in the one man band show.  They were so fun to watch!

I considered our day very good practice for our vacation to Colorado next week.  Going with the flow is by far not my strong suit, but we stayed at the fair longer than planned which included impromptu diaper changing, on the go napping and nursing in public.  I think it was good for both of us, as we will be going a lot of that next week!  

If anyone has any tips on vacationing with a  6 month old I'm all ears :)

No comments: