Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Stranger Danger??

So....I am reaching out to any more experienced mama's that may be reading this for some advice.  Give me your wisdom!

Our beautiful miss Amaia seems to be developing a bit of an affinity for me. Of course a part of me greatly enjoys this.  I can remember not that long ago feeling like I wasn't even sure that she knew who I was, but I am also a little worried that she is developing some separation anxiety.  Let me explain.  Over the past few weeks there have been several times that we have been visiting our parents and Amaia is totally fine and happy until I hand her over to one of her grandparents and she almost immediately starts crying.  The cry she uses is also a bit different than her normal cry.  It is high-pitched and shrill and it breaks my heart a bit.  I usually take her back and she calms down fairly quickly.  I didn't think she was even old enough for this yet!  She did this on Mother's Day and even Adam did not make her happy, only me.

I do stay at home with her so I am with her more than anyone else, but we are around other people a lot and both of her grandparents have babysat her many times before without this problem.  If separation anxiety is what is going on I would like to take a proactive approach before it gets more intense.  She is such a sweet girl and her grandparents love her so much that I want them to be able to enjoy her too.  Is this normal at 3 months old? Will she jut grow out of this?  Is there anything I can do to help her through it?  Help!! :)

1 comment:

Samantha Karaidos said...

maybe give her a blanket, or shirt that you have worn to hold onto when you give her away. And don't take her back right away, see if she calms down after a couple minutes.